Skip to main content

Mogollon Rim and Tonto Natural Bridge



This was my last full day in AZ. We did not stay long at the Mogollon Rim (pronounced "Muggy-own" according to the city of Payson's website and "Moogy-on" by my Dad), which is part of the Colorado Plateau and divides AZ into its cooler northern and scorching southern portions. We saw the small dam and spillway, took in the view at a couple of overlooks, and headed to Tonto Natural Bridge.


The Tonto Natural Bridge is a cave-like structure 183 feet high and creating a 400 foot long tunnel that is 150 feet wide at its widest point according to this pamphlet I'm reading. Pine Creek runs under the bridge. We had to climb many precariously smooth boulders, steep areas, and use narrow footholds to pass through and then traverse the creek's edge past the bridge to a waterfall.

Entering the tunnel

Looking back at some mossy rocks and boulders from the tunnel's edge

Inside the tunnel

 Looking through the tunnel from the other side

A trickling waterfall. I was made to climb a very steep dirt covered area to reach it by a certain mountain goat that shall remain nameless.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Heian Book Report

I've started re-reading my Heian-era Japanese Literature books (all English translations) and thought I'd write a few thoughts about each while it's fresh in my mind. I started with Hojoki and Tsurezuregusa . So, this is just my announcement, you can read a bit more about my  Heian Obsession here  and I will post all of the book reports to this page .

Day 6 - Lizard

  The drawing of this lizard was interrupted by errands today but luckily I remembered to come back to it. The hubs walked in while I was working on it and said " ugh " (and actually flicked out his tongue much like a lizard)...which I suppose means that it looks real enough ;) ~January 6, 2022~ The Gallery for this Draw Something ( anything! ) Daily Challenge can be seen   HERE

Maceo

Last night I lost my beloved Maceo.  I've had him since he was six weeks old and he just turned 17 on April 1st.  I miss him dearly already. Rest well sweet boy.