Skip to main content

Day 22 - Jeweled Caddisfly Larva


Yesterday's jeweled butterfly reminded me of an article I read about the caddisfly larvae which make jewelry. The larvae naturally take the substrate from their aquatic environment (pebbles, twigs, etc.) to create protective cases around their bodies. One enterprising individual who had raised them for bait wondered, "what if I put the larvae in an aquarium with only jewels and precious metals for substrate?" He did so, and some beautiful jeweled cases were the result. I believe this fellow patented his method (darn), but I was thus inspired to create my own jeweled caddisfly from silver chain, a button, jump ring, green tiger eye beads, pink freshwater pearls, silver beads, and crystal beads.


[January 22, 2016]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Heian Book Report

I've started re-reading my Heian-era Japanese Literature books (all English translations) and thought I'd write a few thoughts about each while it's fresh in my mind. I started with Hojoki and Tsurezuregusa . So, this is just my announcement, you can read a bit more about my  Heian Obsession here  and I will post all of the book reports to this page .

Day 6 - Lizard

  The drawing of this lizard was interrupted by errands today but luckily I remembered to come back to it. The hubs walked in while I was working on it and said " ugh " (and actually flicked out his tongue much like a lizard)...which I suppose means that it looks real enough ;) ~January 6, 2022~ The Gallery for this Draw Something ( anything! ) Daily Challenge can be seen   HERE

Maceo

Last night I lost my beloved Maceo.  I've had him since he was six weeks old and he just turned 17 on April 1st.  I miss him dearly already. Rest well sweet boy.