Skip to main content

Day 10 - The Lady Who Loved Insects

Acrylic pigment ink, gold iridescent ink, and India ink (ACEO)

At first glance this does not appear to be insect related, However! My Lady is the subject of an unfinished, anonymous 12th century Japanese tale, The Lady Who Loved Insects. Her love of insects and reptiles made her contemporaries think her eccentric; though she thought them eccentric. 

Thinking of the lady next door she asks, "Why do people make so much fuss about butterflies and never give a thought to the creatures out of which butterflies grow?" She particularly liked caterpillars. Not caring what anyone else thought of her, she kept insects as pets and did not conform to the beauty customs of the day. She also named all the little boys in her neighborhood after insects.

Art Notes!

I styled this after tale illustrations from the Heian period, when this tale was written.

A: Silk Worm Racks
Silk worms are kept in baskets or on basket trays on a rack, as pictured here (though most are rectangular for practicality). I found no Heian example, however silk worms were farmed back then. I imagine the lady could have kept a myriad of caterpillar species in something similar. The basket trays are also full of leaves for the caterpillars.

B: Incubator
In silk worm farming, a similar structure was used to hatch the eggs at the turn of the last century. The temperature was regulated in the cabinet below the racks. I'm not sure how far back this practice goes, and again, there are no Heian examples. Being clever and attuned to the natural world, however, it is plausible the lady could have fashioned someplace to separate the eggs. The tale says she had many containers and cages for her pets.

C: Silk Worm
Caterpillars are her favorite, and this totally counts as an insect drawing!

D: Robes
Heian robes were layered in different colors. The colors I used are an approximation of the "ruffled iris" layering. Her outer robe features cicadas (also counts for insect drawing!). Heian textiles were pretty sophisticated and included complex patterns, weaves, and embroidery.

E: Cricket Cage
Her insect cages may have looked similar. Mine is based on an "antique" cricket cage, age unknown.


Side Bar: This took nearly all day to complete...whew!

[January 10, 2016]


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 16 - A Word for That

"Invent a new word and illustrate or demonstrate its meaning" " PETASUSAURUS " Noun . A lizard, preferably a chameleon, that is placed on the head to control bothersome mosquitoes. From the Latin,  petasus , meaning "hat" and the Greek,  sauros . meaning "lizard;"  or literally, a "lizard hat." Modern usage : " Hey man, nice petasusaurus! " (I haven't drawn in anime style for ages!) (October 17, 2016) Update: I've been corrected, "Hey (wo)man, nice petasusaurus!" Thanks, AS

How I Make Tiny Art Books

  Moon Phase & Black Cat Version II Tiny concertina softcover art book, 1-1/8" square I have loved tiny books since I was a kid, and I used to both collect them and make them. I usually made them with staples, because as a kid, that seemed like the most logical binding, but I also experimented with string, tape, and brads. I would draw comics in them, usually cats, after they were bound, which was rather ass-backwards of me.  So now I'm a wee bit older and I still love making books (and I still have 4 tiny books from my original collection). I wanted to show how I made this one, which is composed of thick black paper, parchment style paper, hand-carved stamps, and a ribbon closure. All materials are archival safe. How it's Made: It always begins with a pencil drawing. After sketching out the moon phase cats, I transferred the drawings to pink stamping material and carved each one by hand. I love the primitive look of hand stamping and I wanted this book to be reprodu

Creating a Linoleum Block Print

Maneki Neko , completed July 23, 2015 Here is a photographic illustration of how I make lino block prints...  original pencil sketch Every lino starts with a sketch. Often I will flip the image (and resize if necessary) using the computer. Sometimes I can trace onto the block directly from the original. Here I am using graphite paper to transfer the drawing (which is under the white paper in this photo). Note that the image has been flipped. Since I work primarily on a small scale (usually smaller than 2" x 3" - 5 x 7.5 cm), I typically use just three blade types for cutting the design into the linoleum: the #1 V blade for details, the #2 V blade for further outlining, and the #5 U blade for removing the excess linoleum. Here I have cut the detail lines and the outline once with the #1 blade. This is the second outline with the #1.  I widen the outline around the image in stages for two reasons. First, one is less likely to