Skip to main content

Day 14 - Fashion Assassin

Assassin bug earrings

Today I made a new earring design for my shop. It's a red bull assassin bug (and therefore also counts for bug-a-day! Hoorah multi-taking!). Made from shrink plastic, colored pencils, sharpie marker, silver earrings, metal findings and crystal beads.

Here's an overview of the process:

It starts with a sketch

Next I make a prototype in shrink plastic to see where its center of gravity is, and how I want it to hang on the earrings.

Using the computer, I flip the image and then it is traced onto the shrink plastic with sharpie marker, which is the best type to use for most shrink plastic applications. Then I punch holes where needed.

I then color them in with colored pencils and cut them out. Next they go in the oven and bake for a few minutes, shrinking to about a third of their original size.

Here they are after baking. 
Next I apply three coats of polyurethane varnish which dries and sets overnight.

Next I assemble the crystal beads and bead connectors, and finally assemble the earrings.

Done! You can view the earrings in my shop here.


[January 14, 2016]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 16 - A Word for That

"Invent a new word and illustrate or demonstrate its meaning" " PETASUSAURUS " Noun . A lizard, preferably a chameleon, that is placed on the head to control bothersome mosquitoes. From the Latin,  petasus , meaning "hat" and the Greek,  sauros . meaning "lizard;"  or literally, a "lizard hat." Modern usage : " Hey man, nice petasusaurus! " (I haven't drawn in anime style for ages!) (October 17, 2016) Update: I've been corrected, "Hey (wo)man, nice petasusaurus!" Thanks, AS

How I Make Tiny Art Books

  Moon Phase & Black Cat Version II Tiny concertina softcover art book, 1-1/8" square I have loved tiny books since I was a kid, and I used to both collect them and make them. I usually made them with staples, because as a kid, that seemed like the most logical binding, but I also experimented with string, tape, and brads. I would draw comics in them, usually cats, after they were bound, which was rather ass-backwards of me.  So now I'm a wee bit older and I still love making books (and I still have 4 tiny books from my original collection). I wanted to show how I made this one, which is composed of thick black paper, parchment style paper, hand-carved stamps, and a ribbon closure. All materials are archival safe. How it's Made: It always begins with a pencil drawing. After sketching out the moon phase cats, I transferred the drawings to pink stamping material and carved each one by hand. I love the primitive look of hand stamping and I wanted this book to be reprodu

Day 20 - Foreshortening

Ok, so I've already fallen of the wagon for this challenge...whoops! and only 20 days in, too. I will say this, I have been working on etsy things instead. This challenge, though I only made it 20 days so far, has accomplished my major goal of jump-starting my creative drive. I have some projects I want to work on again. So, I'm not going to beat myself up over it. Instead, when I get into a slump again, I'll pick it back up. This challenge should serve me, not the other way around, right? The cat is my attempt at foreshortening, which is not a skill I consistently possess. I was inspired to try that again by the Caravaggio ceiling mural that received recent press for being located inside the most expensive house currently for sale in the world. That ceiling mural, with its use of the foreshortening technique, is incredible...Caravaggio himself was kind of a jerk, but what an amazing artist. ~cat sketch January 20, 2022~ ~Admitting I've fallen off the wagon: January 29,