Skip to main content

Japanese Tales


I have just finished reading this delightful compilation of tales from medieval Japan (the bulk of them originating from the Heian era, c. 794-1185), translated by Royall Tyler. There are over 200 tales included in this translation, but the main source used by Tyler, the Konjaku monogatarishu ("Tales of Times Now Past" c. 1100), is itself a five-volume compilation.  I won't complain further, though, as this tome in its entirety requires the investment of an exceedingly large sum of money.  (Mr. Tyler's is the affordable snack-size version, and every bit as tasty).

The Heian period is generally described as a golden age in Japan when arts and culture flourished (one of the more interesting aspects being the existence of a number of renowned women authors and poets). The folk tales featured here are tiny windows into everyday life in medieval Japan spanning history, myth and fantasy, superstition, religious/Buddhist ideals, and the prevailing thoughts and desires of the day and featuring courtiers, beasts, demons, spirits, monks, warriors, gods, thieves, ghosts, and ordinary folks.

Many tales contain a surprising humor, like the one about the little acolyte who cleverly tricks his master in order to steal his master's sweet syrup; and others strike one as horribly tragic, such as the tale of a man who falls in love with and marries a goddess; he becomes homesick and is sent back to his own land, never to return, only to realize eons have past and he has now lost everything. They can sometimes be shockingly frank, as in the descriptions of the lustful snakes and foxes that can take on human form; or creepy, like the spirits that silently place their hands on the faces of those who sleep near their ponds. Some are quite profound, like the falconer who has a nightmare that he and his family have become the quarry he has long hunted; he watches as they are graphically picked off one by one, and upon waking gives up his passion for falconry.  There are frightful encounters, like the demons that know you are hiding from them and announce they will find you and eat you; and disturbing contexts, like the man who in his religious zealotry believes he can fly and instead lands on a jumble of rocks. Yet other tales were surprisingly reassuring of one's faith in humanity, like the Governor that understands the plight of a hungry, desperate thief and spares his life; or the various monks that, unable to bear the cruelty endured by a fellow creature, save the life of an animal.

As this was a time period which solidified much of the cultural heritage of present day Japan (a time when the absorption of Chinese and Korean culture and ideals came to a close and was melded with their own local aesthetics, customs, and beliefs), one gets a better understanding of Japanese culture in general by reading these tales.

It is a strange and wonderfully winding path to walk.  And now that I've read something more fanciful, I shall return to my bulky, picture-less The Cambridge History of Japan Vol. II : Heian Japan encyclopedia-like volume to learn more...I hit the chapter about land taxation, and well, you can see why I wandered...oh, suiko...right where I left off.

Thank you Mr. Tyler!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 16 - A Word for That

"Invent a new word and illustrate or demonstrate its meaning" " PETASUSAURUS " Noun . A lizard, preferably a chameleon, that is placed on the head to control bothersome mosquitoes. From the Latin,  petasus , meaning "hat" and the Greek,  sauros . meaning "lizard;"  or literally, a "lizard hat." Modern usage : " Hey man, nice petasusaurus! " (I haven't drawn in anime style for ages!) (October 17, 2016) Update: I've been corrected, "Hey (wo)man, nice petasusaurus!" Thanks, AS

How I Make Tiny Art Books

  Moon Phase & Black Cat Version II Tiny concertina softcover art book, 1-1/8" square I have loved tiny books since I was a kid, and I used to both collect them and make them. I usually made them with staples, because as a kid, that seemed like the most logical binding, but I also experimented with string, tape, and brads. I would draw comics in them, usually cats, after they were bound, which was rather ass-backwards of me.  So now I'm a wee bit older and I still love making books (and I still have 4 tiny books from my original collection). I wanted to show how I made this one, which is composed of thick black paper, parchment style paper, hand-carved stamps, and a ribbon closure. All materials are archival safe. How it's Made: It always begins with a pencil drawing. After sketching out the moon phase cats, I transferred the drawings to pink stamping material and carved each one by hand. I love the primitive look of hand stamping and I wanted this book to be reprodu

Day 20 - Foreshortening

Ok, so I've already fallen of the wagon for this challenge...whoops! and only 20 days in, too. I will say this, I have been working on etsy things instead. This challenge, though I only made it 20 days so far, has accomplished my major goal of jump-starting my creative drive. I have some projects I want to work on again. So, I'm not going to beat myself up over it. Instead, when I get into a slump again, I'll pick it back up. This challenge should serve me, not the other way around, right? The cat is my attempt at foreshortening, which is not a skill I consistently possess. I was inspired to try that again by the Caravaggio ceiling mural that received recent press for being located inside the most expensive house currently for sale in the world. That ceiling mural, with its use of the foreshortening technique, is incredible...Caravaggio himself was kind of a jerk, but what an amazing artist. ~cat sketch January 20, 2022~ ~Admitting I've fallen off the wagon: January 29,