Skip to main content

Narrow-mouth Frog

Gastrophryne carolinensis

It is always a delight to come across a narrow-mouth frog (also called a narrow-mouth toad), which is frequently heard but seldom seen due to its sheltering nature.  The calls sound similar to the bleating of sheep, most commonly heard around my house after a rain.  This is a young frog, but even as adults they rarely reach 1.5 inches in length.  The shape of the narrow-mouth frog is unique, making it easy to identify: a small pointy little snout, rotund body with relatively smooth skin, and a fold of skin across its head located just behind the eyes.  I noticed him hopping away with the insects in front of the hose as I watered the garden.  I then promptly returned him to his place so he could continue eating ants and termites like a good frog.  Special note: if you handle one, wash your hands. The skin secretions of this frog can cause burning if you rub your eyes or somehow get it in your mouth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Heian Book Report

I've started re-reading my Heian-era Japanese Literature books (all English translations) and thought I'd write a few thoughts about each while it's fresh in my mind. I started with Hojoki and Tsurezuregusa . So, this is just my announcement, you can read a bit more about my  Heian Obsession here  and I will post all of the book reports to this page .

Day 6 - Lizard

  The drawing of this lizard was interrupted by errands today but luckily I remembered to come back to it. The hubs walked in while I was working on it and said " ugh " (and actually flicked out his tongue much like a lizard)...which I suppose means that it looks real enough ;) ~January 6, 2022~ The Gallery for this Draw Something ( anything! ) Daily Challenge can be seen   HERE

Maceo

Last night I lost my beloved Maceo.  I've had him since he was six weeks old and he just turned 17 on April 1st.  I miss him dearly already. Rest well sweet boy.