Skip to main content

Bonaventure Cemetery - Savannah, GA

Angel of Satisfying Self-Righteous Indignation (she's my favorite)

I rang in the new year by touring Savannah and communing with dead folks. I can't think of a better way to do so. All of the lives now past help to put things in perspective. Bonaventure was by far the most peaceful part of my trip, I could have spent the entire day there.

This historic cemetery is located to the southeast of downtown Savannah on the Wilmington River. The site was originally settled by John Mullryne in 1764 and became a plantation which he named Bonaventure, meaning "Good Fortune." Though it was the final resting place of certain French troops and family members of the plot's many landowners beginning in the late 1700s, it was not established as a public cemetery until 1847.


Some of the oldest headstones in the cemetery


A mausoleum and family plot

There are a lot of obelisks...

St. Francis watches over a small plot

Beautiful doors on a mausoleum

Fort Pulaski
"Rabbit Holes"

This photo was taken from inside one of the tunnels that lead in and out of the grassy mounds on the west side of Fort Pulaski. The fort is located on an island at the mouth of the Savannah River. I'm not sure what the tunnels are properly called, but I called them rabbit holes because I felt like a rabbit as I quickened my pace up and down the short flights of stairs and wandered in and out of the tunnels to find myself on a grassy mound with another one or two rabbit holes to choose from to go down next. Fun! 

I descend the spiral stairs at the Fort (photo by E)

...last but not least, the Fort's beautiful gate doors
Happy New Year!

**Cemetery info from a pamphlet by the Bonaventure Historical Society

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Heian Book Report

I've started re-reading my Heian-era Japanese Literature books (all English translations) and thought I'd write a few thoughts about each while it's fresh in my mind. I started with Hojoki and Tsurezuregusa . So, this is just my announcement, you can read a bit more about my  Heian Obsession here  and I will post all of the book reports to this page .

Day 6 - Lizard

  The drawing of this lizard was interrupted by errands today but luckily I remembered to come back to it. The hubs walked in while I was working on it and said " ugh " (and actually flicked out his tongue much like a lizard)...which I suppose means that it looks real enough ;) ~January 6, 2022~ The Gallery for this Draw Something ( anything! ) Daily Challenge can be seen   HERE

Maceo

Last night I lost my beloved Maceo.  I've had him since he was six weeks old and he just turned 17 on April 1st.  I miss him dearly already. Rest well sweet boy.