Skip to main content

Hemiptera Nymphs

Broad-headed bug (Alydidae) nymph on blue bedder.

There have been numerous Hemiptera nymphs in the Dirt Patch lately. I hope some of the adults stick around so I can get more photos. Above is a strange one- the nymph of the broad-headed bug is an ant mimic. It's a very good one, too, at first I thought it was a slightly larger than usual carpenter ant; then I got closer and thought...velvet ant? It's still strangely shaped for an ant...then I clearly saw its proboscis (visible in the photo above), and scrambled inside to get the camera. It moves very much like the larger species of ants do, very quick and alert. A few years ago I photographed an adult broad-headed bug on the work vehicle I was using for that day's field assignment (third below).
nymph

Adult broad-headed bug
Leaf-footed bug (Coreidae) nymphs
 Many Hemiptera nymphs congregate when they are newly hatched through one or two instars (molts). Safety in numbers! Though the bright coloration warns of potential indigestion as well.
Leaf-footed bug nymph

An adult leaf-footed bug
Stink bug (Pentatomidae) nymph on Hawaiin blue-eyes
As is the case with most stink bugs, this one is a vegetarian

Stink bug adult
This one is predatory (meatatarian)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maceo

Last night I lost my beloved Maceo.  I've had him since he was six weeks old and he just turned 17 on April 1st.  I miss him dearly already. Rest well sweet boy.

The Heian Book Report

I've started re-reading my Heian-era Japanese Literature books (all English translations) and thought I'd write a few thoughts about each while it's fresh in my mind. I started with Hojoki and Tsurezuregusa . So, this is just my announcement, you can read a bit more about my  Heian Obsession here  and I will post all of the book reports to this page .

Day 104 CS Day 27 - Bee Spa

"Create something in collaboration with another CreativeSprinter Today" One of the Spa's clients For the 27th project, I consulted with my friend and fellow artist AS in New England. She works in a greenhouse and when asked via email what insect first came to mind, she wrote: "I think of BEES because I have been working in beeswax and I love what bees do and produce. Also, my coworker and I made a "Bee Spa" for all the fuzzy bumble bees that pass out on the ground (I think the colder temps make them sluggish?)...and we also have a "Bee Necropolis" where we lovingly put all the bees that have died." I was intrigued by both ideas - the spa and the necropolis, but decided I might have a better chance at depicting the spa. I asked AS what the Bee Spa looked like: "...[it] is a selection of lovely cut flowers with pollen offerings plus potted plants in a protected area where the bumbles will not be disturbed a...