Skip to main content

Tiny House Comparison

Just a note, some people do not consider these tiny - just small. And that's my disclaimer to appease those individuals. :) Thank you!

Since I'm at least halfway there financially, I've spent some time comparing my current house (which I rent) to the tiny houses I'm considering building. The Bodega is my top choice and I have already purchased plans for it. The Marmara is my fall-back house should something suddenly happen and I find the need to build now (its biggest drawback is the micro-bathroom...I do need a bit of storage in there what with lady items and such things having to go somewhere). The Whidbey is what I would build should I need to accommodate an additional person in my life (my cynical side wishes to comment further... I will refrain because I do really like the Whidbey). 

Please note that the photos and information for the Bodega and Whidbey come from Tumbleweed Tiny House Company and the Marmara comes from Four Lights Tiny House Company.


Here's the breakdown:

Note: the loft square footage is in addition to the Total square footage. It is not included in the total because the ceiling height disqualifies it from being counted as a "room" in most building codes.

My current house is actually a studio, and using divisions created by my furniture, this is how I divided it (blue lines) for comparison to these houses:

Not to scale!

Plus
By comparison, (and according to what I value) these tiny houses are all an improvement in some way over my current house. All of the tiny houses have bigger kitchens than what I currently have. All can accommodate bath tubs (even the tiny Marmara using Jay Shafer's ofuro tub design), whereas now I have a 2.5' x 2.5' shower stall. All have more storage space, mostly thanks to the lofts. All have actual bedrooms in contrast to my current open studio space. One could argue that these "bedrooms" are just that...walled off spaces for a bed and that's about it. Lucky for me, I find this idea charming...like a little sleeping cubby...or a nest... comme ce est romantique! 

The downsizing of the Great Room in all of the houses is not a negative for me, either. The footprint of my current house may be larger than most of these, but it isn't well designed. This is just one of the reasons I find tiny houses so attractive. I much prefer the well thought out designs of these smaller rooms with the options of adding built-in furniture and using other creative ideas to make it feel more cozy. I do like my current house, but it is just one large space, without much design. My current "great room" feels a bit empty.

Minus
I'm on the fence about the tiny bathroom and lack of space for a W/D in the Marmara. Though if I did end up going with the Marmara, I could always later install an outbuilding for a W/D. I actually see no minuses with the other two house designs.

Conclusions
This comparison exercise turned out to be a great way to visualize what it would be like to live in any one of them. It's much easier to visualize, for example, a 7'5" x 7'5" kitchen after measuring and realizing that I currently have a 5'8" x 7'11" kitchen. I'm now able to confidently say...I'm looking forward to that! (And a real oven! Sigh!

PS - Bodega wins

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Make Tiny Art Books

  Moon Phase & Black Cat Version II Tiny concertina softcover art book, 1-1/8" square I have loved tiny books since I was a kid, and I used to both collect them and make them. I usually made them with staples, because as a kid, that seemed like the most logical binding, but I also experimented with string, tape, and brads. I would draw comics in them, usually cats, after they were bound, which was rather ass-backwards of me.  So now I'm a wee bit older and I still love making books (and I still have 4 tiny books from my original collection). I wanted to show how I made this one, which is composed of thick black paper, parchment style paper, hand-carved stamps, and a ribbon closure. All materials are archival safe. How it's Made: It always begins with a pencil drawing. After sketching out the moon phase cats, I transferred the drawings to pink stamping material and carved each one by hand. I love the primitive look of hand stamping and I wanted this book to be reprodu

Day 16 - A Word for That

"Invent a new word and illustrate or demonstrate its meaning" " PETASUSAURUS " Noun . A lizard, preferably a chameleon, that is placed on the head to control bothersome mosquitoes. From the Latin,  petasus , meaning "hat" and the Greek,  sauros . meaning "lizard;"  or literally, a "lizard hat." Modern usage : " Hey man, nice petasusaurus! " (I haven't drawn in anime style for ages!) (October 17, 2016) Update: I've been corrected, "Hey (wo)man, nice petasusaurus!" Thanks, AS

Peninsula Cooter lays her eggs

Pseudemys floridana peninsularis , through binoculars Maceo spotted her first through the window, I was too busy making paper flowers. I think this was his first turtle. His posture was hyper-alert, a cross between sitting and crouching on his haunches, with his ears pointed forward and his eyes wide. At first I wondered why the turtle was wandering back and forth around the yard - seemed like odd behavior. Then I saw her attempt a few scrapes...she's going to lay eggs! Lucky for me, she settled on a spot right outside my rear window. I took a few photos of her through my binoculars from the window, and also through the cattle gate at the rear of the Dirt Patch. I know some people have walked right up to turtles laying eggs before and didn't seem to bother them, but how do we know it doesn't stress them out? I decided to stay about 20 feet back while outside. I was a lot closer through the window, but the screen at least formed a bit of a visual barrier since it was