Skip to main content

Day 5 - Contain Yourself

Day 5

Make a container, something that can hold something else.



Incomplete!

I should have started this earlier in the day. My first thought when I read the prompt was "bowl" this logically lead to "candy bowl" because, well, maybe I wanted some Halloween candy. I had all this unused paper clay just sitting in my cabinet, and so I thought, perfect! I'll use that up! 

This led to the unfinished Halloween candy dish above because there is no way this is going to dry before tomorrow. I want to paint a design on it. Is it cheating to take 2 days for one project? 

10/6/2015: 
It's still not dry!!

10/7/2015: 
Finally Dry. Finally Finished.



The kissing bug (AKA blood-sucking conenose) was perfect for the decoration because they are already decked out in Halloween spirit, and, they're kinda creepy. They crawl into open, unscreened windows and feast on your blood at night while you're sleeping. 

However, I feel like I missed the mark with this project:

1. I rushed the painting. 

2. When I lifted the masking tape from the rim stripes, the paint lifted in some spots.

3. I think the point of this exercise was to make a container out of a less obvious material.

4. Most importantly, there's no candy!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Heian Book Report

I've started re-reading my Heian-era Japanese Literature books (all English translations) and thought I'd write a few thoughts about each while it's fresh in my mind. I started with Hojoki and Tsurezuregusa . So, this is just my announcement, you can read a bit more about my  Heian Obsession here  and I will post all of the book reports to this page .

Maceo

Last night I lost my beloved Maceo.  I've had him since he was six weeks old and he just turned 17 on April 1st.  I miss him dearly already. Rest well sweet boy.

Day 104 CS Day 27 - Bee Spa

"Create something in collaboration with another CreativeSprinter Today" One of the Spa's clients For the 27th project, I consulted with my friend and fellow artist AS in New England. She works in a greenhouse and when asked via email what insect first came to mind, she wrote: "I think of BEES because I have been working in beeswax and I love what bees do and produce. Also, my coworker and I made a "Bee Spa" for all the fuzzy bumble bees that pass out on the ground (I think the colder temps make them sluggish?)...and we also have a "Bee Necropolis" where we lovingly put all the bees that have died." I was intrigued by both ideas - the spa and the necropolis, but decided I might have a better chance at depicting the spa. I asked AS what the Bee Spa looked like: "...[it] is a selection of lovely cut flowers with pollen offerings plus potted plants in a protected area where the bumbles will not be disturbed a...