Skip to main content

Day 10 - Children at Play

Day 10

Make something inspired by your favorite childhood game.


The Mantis Sibs Play Super Mario Bros.

To be honest, I wasn't too into games when I was a kid. I had a lot of hobbies and just liked being outside. I did like to play tag, but couldn't think how to turn that into an art project. Just last week, however, speaking with friends and former colleagues, the topic of video games came up and I mentioned how I wished they'd bring back the original NES with all of its games already loaded. With fond memories of the old NES in mind, I created this scene whence mantid siblings, who ordinarily would eat each other, take a break from siblicide to play a nice video game, circa 1987.

Materials: A wood cardholder (bookcase), paper printouts (TV & other props), a tiny terracotta pot with paper plant, a real potted plant, a beaded wire mantis I bought on Etsy, the mantispid (pretend it's a mantis!) I made on the first day of this challenge, a box lid for the background, colored pencils, tape, glue, string.

All while making this, the following dialogue played out in my mind:




Ahh, Memories.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Heian Book Report

I've started re-reading my Heian-era Japanese Literature books (all English translations) and thought I'd write a few thoughts about each while it's fresh in my mind. I started with Hojoki and Tsurezuregusa . So, this is just my announcement, you can read a bit more about my  Heian Obsession here  and I will post all of the book reports to this page .

Maceo

Last night I lost my beloved Maceo.  I've had him since he was six weeks old and he just turned 17 on April 1st.  I miss him dearly already. Rest well sweet boy.

Day 6 - Lizard

  The drawing of this lizard was interrupted by errands today but luckily I remembered to come back to it. The hubs walked in while I was working on it and said " ugh " (and actually flicked out his tongue much like a lizard)...which I suppose means that it looks real enough ;) ~January 6, 2022~ The Gallery for this Draw Something ( anything! ) Daily Challenge can be seen   HERE