Skip to main content

Day 28 - Tiny Kogo

Tiny bits of sage for a tiny kogo

This took a few days to complete since first the paper clay had to dry, and then I had to paint and seal it. Not to mention, other stuff going on...

It's a tiny kogo with a cicada on the lid. It's painted with acrylics and gold ink.
A kogo is an incense container used in Japanese tea ceremony. On January 28th I visited the Harn Museum of Art in Gainesville and drooled over their kogo display. 



It is mostly formed by hand, but I used a fake Dremel tool to better define the cicada relief, make the interior deeper, to skim off the excess around the lip so the lids would fit together, and sand the whole thing.



The rabbit is a real kogo (circa 1980s) from Japan.




[January 28, 2016]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6 - Lizard

  The drawing of this lizard was interrupted by errands today but luckily I remembered to come back to it. The hubs walked in while I was working on it and said " ugh " (and actually flicked out his tongue much like a lizard)...which I suppose means that it looks real enough ;) ~January 6, 2022~ The Gallery for this Draw Something ( anything! ) Daily Challenge can be seen   HERE

The Heian Book Report

I've started re-reading my Heian-era Japanese Literature books (all English translations) and thought I'd write a few thoughts about each while it's fresh in my mind. I started with Hojoki and Tsurezuregusa . So, this is just my announcement, you can read a bit more about my  Heian Obsession here  and I will post all of the book reports to this page .

Maceo

Last night I lost my beloved Maceo.  I've had him since he was six weeks old and he just turned 17 on April 1st.  I miss him dearly already. Rest well sweet boy.