Skip to main content

Day 1 - Start Small: Mail Serpents

"Make something that fits in the palm of your hand using only the materials in your immediate environment"


Copperhead vs. Cottonmouth

It's Creative Sprint Challenge Time again! 

I was going to use insects as my theme again, because I love them so, but when I read a BBC article about a woman in Arkansas who filmed some strange snake behavior, I was inspired to switch gears and try reptiles as my theme.

The snakes in question are the copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix) and cottonmouth (Agkistrodon piscivorus), which were engaged in ritualistic combat. It is strange because this combat usually occurs with two individuals from the same species. They fight for dominance, not death, to win territory and females.

My desk is unusually clean, but my immediate surroundings did provide some junk mail, which is what these two are made of. The colors and patterning were already printed on the junk mail, all I did was cut out snakes and add eyeballs.

Oh - and then I made a silly pun because the snakes are Male of course.

(October 1, 2016)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Heian Book Report

I've started re-reading my Heian-era Japanese Literature books (all English translations) and thought I'd write a few thoughts about each while it's fresh in my mind. I started with Hojoki and Tsurezuregusa . So, this is just my announcement, you can read a bit more about my  Heian Obsession here  and I will post all of the book reports to this page .

Maceo

Last night I lost my beloved Maceo.  I've had him since he was six weeks old and he just turned 17 on April 1st.  I miss him dearly already. Rest well sweet boy.

Day 6 - Lizard

  The drawing of this lizard was interrupted by errands today but luckily I remembered to come back to it. The hubs walked in while I was working on it and said " ugh " (and actually flicked out his tongue much like a lizard)...which I suppose means that it looks real enough ;) ~January 6, 2022~ The Gallery for this Draw Something ( anything! ) Daily Challenge can be seen   HERE