Skip to main content

Day 13: Fun with Dremel



I got a Dremel for Christmas and this is the first thing I've attempted to make with it. I used the engraving attachment. The simple design was inspired by Japanese netsuke (there are many beetle on leaf and manju (painted disc) examples). I would have liked to have cut the background portions deeper, but I got impatient to finish it. Also, I think I need different sized engraver attachments - mine only came with the one, which seems to be good for details, but is tedious for removing background.

'tis tiny...


I started with a pencil outline on a tiny wooden disc:


Here it is after it's been engraved with the dremel...



...and then painted with acrylics and gold ink...

Above is an attempt to add dimensional sealer - it seemed like a good idea at the time.

[January 13, 2020]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maceo

Last night I lost my beloved Maceo.  I've had him since he was six weeks old and he just turned 17 on April 1st.  I miss him dearly already. Rest well sweet boy.

The Heian Book Report

I've started re-reading my Heian-era Japanese Literature books (all English translations) and thought I'd write a few thoughts about each while it's fresh in my mind. I started with Hojoki and Tsurezuregusa . So, this is just my announcement, you can read a bit more about my  Heian Obsession here  and I will post all of the book reports to this page .

Day 104 CS Day 27 - Bee Spa

"Create something in collaboration with another CreativeSprinter Today" One of the Spa's clients For the 27th project, I consulted with my friend and fellow artist AS in New England. She works in a greenhouse and when asked via email what insect first came to mind, she wrote: "I think of BEES because I have been working in beeswax and I love what bees do and produce. Also, my coworker and I made a "Bee Spa" for all the fuzzy bumble bees that pass out on the ground (I think the colder temps make them sluggish?)...and we also have a "Bee Necropolis" where we lovingly put all the bees that have died." I was intrigued by both ideas - the spa and the necropolis, but decided I might have a better chance at depicting the spa. I asked AS what the Bee Spa looked like: "...[it] is a selection of lovely cut flowers with pollen offerings plus potted plants in a protected area where the bumbles will not be disturbed a...