Skip to main content

Day 14: Brushed Mantispid


In my defense, I had too much coffee this morning and my hand was shaky - check out those jagged lines! I was also in a hurry to complete something.

Mantispids, AKA mantis flies, are darling little Neuropterans which resemble and behave similarly to mantids. They have a parasitic phase, though, in which they raid spider eggs and wasp nests, so I think that elevates them a bit above mantids in the bad ass department.

[January 14, 2020]

Side Bar: My husband is dragging me to see Star Wars in the theatre today for a second time.
If that isn't love...pray tell what is?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maceo

Last night I lost my beloved Maceo.  I've had him since he was six weeks old and he just turned 17 on April 1st.  I miss him dearly already. Rest well sweet boy.

The Heian Book Report

I've started re-reading my Heian-era Japanese Literature books (all English translations) and thought I'd write a few thoughts about each while it's fresh in my mind. I started with Hojoki and Tsurezuregusa . So, this is just my announcement, you can read a bit more about my  Heian Obsession here  and I will post all of the book reports to this page .

Day 104 CS Day 27 - Bee Spa

"Create something in collaboration with another CreativeSprinter Today" One of the Spa's clients For the 27th project, I consulted with my friend and fellow artist AS in New England. She works in a greenhouse and when asked via email what insect first came to mind, she wrote: "I think of BEES because I have been working in beeswax and I love what bees do and produce. Also, my coworker and I made a "Bee Spa" for all the fuzzy bumble bees that pass out on the ground (I think the colder temps make them sluggish?)...and we also have a "Bee Necropolis" where we lovingly put all the bees that have died." I was intrigued by both ideas - the spa and the necropolis, but decided I might have a better chance at depicting the spa. I asked AS what the Bee Spa looked like: "...[it] is a selection of lovely cut flowers with pollen offerings plus potted plants in a protected area where the bumbles will not be disturbed a...