Skip to main content

Day 32: Boxer Mantis Nymph


Behavior-wise, I maintain that mantispids (mantid flies in the order Neuroptera) are more badass than mantids (arguments here and here and not so much here, but how cute!). However, mantids definitely win the "Best Costume" category with their myriad forms of spines, mimicry, color, and spectacle. The boxer mantis is a good example.


Here is the under-drawing, or first layer sketch. Drawings, paintings, etc are made in layers - like constructing a building, you need a sturdy frame first. The first layer is where I attempt to line everything up and make it proportionate. I then do a more detailed second layer, and sometimes an even more detailed third layer. I always start with a light pencil (an HB here), I will sometimes then outline and shade with a softer, darker pencil (a 3B works nice, like this drawing, although I stopped with the HB here).

Side Bar:  I made it to one month! Woo! Only two slip-ups which were redeemed with terrible (and terribly cartoonish) cockroach drawings.


[February 1, 2020]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maceo

Last night I lost my beloved Maceo.  I've had him since he was six weeks old and he just turned 17 on April 1st.  I miss him dearly already. Rest well sweet boy.

The Heian Book Report

I've started re-reading my Heian-era Japanese Literature books (all English translations) and thought I'd write a few thoughts about each while it's fresh in my mind. I started with Hojoki and Tsurezuregusa . So, this is just my announcement, you can read a bit more about my  Heian Obsession here  and I will post all of the book reports to this page .

Day 104 CS Day 27 - Bee Spa

"Create something in collaboration with another CreativeSprinter Today" One of the Spa's clients For the 27th project, I consulted with my friend and fellow artist AS in New England. She works in a greenhouse and when asked via email what insect first came to mind, she wrote: "I think of BEES because I have been working in beeswax and I love what bees do and produce. Also, my coworker and I made a "Bee Spa" for all the fuzzy bumble bees that pass out on the ground (I think the colder temps make them sluggish?)...and we also have a "Bee Necropolis" where we lovingly put all the bees that have died." I was intrigued by both ideas - the spa and the necropolis, but decided I might have a better chance at depicting the spa. I asked AS what the Bee Spa looked like: "...[it] is a selection of lovely cut flowers with pollen offerings plus potted plants in a protected area where the bumbles will not be disturbed a...