Skip to main content

"A Delicate Bowl of Jade"

-Green Springs as described by a visitor in the late 1800s...


...a rare sulphur spring in Enterprise, Florida. 11/2014.

Green Springs is a very small public park located north of Lake Monroe in Enterprise, Florida, and is one of my favorite places. Wandering to its ethereal waters, looping its trails, and even picnicking next to the tiny waterfall have all helped restore some of my sanity over the last few years. My most recent visit has reminded me just how rejuvenating the place can be. It seems to absorb my cares and instill in me a creative motivation that few things are able to inspire. It is amazing how such a small place can have such impact.

The beautiful jade green waters are not always so. You have to catch it on a good day. The color is the result of an interaction between the sulphur discharge from the springhead (lateral vents) and algae naturally occurring in the water. Sometimes, the springhead stops flowing and the waters darken, more the color of a jar of green drawing ink and not as opaque. The color is restricted to the sink that contains the springhead - a widening shaft that descends some 76 feet to a silt-covered limestone bottom. A stream leads from the spring and drains into Lake Monroe, quickly losing the green color and becoming clear, with a slight brown tint from the tannin-producing breakdown of dead leaves. 

Over the years I've noticed that the best time to see the jade color seems to be in the cooler months and after a heavy rain when it is at the height of its other-worldliness. Not only does the water fairly glow, the grey skies cause the color to pop, and there is often a mist held in the air just above the water. If the park is empty, you can be swallowed whole by the scene, it is quiet except for the wind rustling the leaves and the occasional bird. 

My reflection looking up at me from the spring and a retaining wall that was built in the 1940s. 11/2014.



Green Springs Photo Gallery 2011-2012

A darker day (and apparently a fish-eye lens), though not as dark as it can get

Resurrection fern on live oak

Banded water snake 

Tannin-heavy stream to the north of the spring

Resurrection fern

Oak/Tillandsia canopy

Of course I lacked a camera for the otter encounter; this is the stream it floated down, quite shallow

Jewel-wing damsel fly on Syngonium

Tiny waterfall to the north of the spring


The park closes at sunset, but I do not immediately go home. Some of the most beautiful sunsets I have observed occurred over Lake Monroe. I leave the park, barred owls cackling, go up the road a short distance and am able to park at the boat ramp to conclude my afternoon.


**Spring facts in my post are from the informative signs located in the park.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maceo

Last night I lost my beloved Maceo.  I've had him since he was six weeks old and he just turned 17 on April 1st.  I miss him dearly already. Rest well sweet boy.

The Heian Book Report

I've started re-reading my Heian-era Japanese Literature books (all English translations) and thought I'd write a few thoughts about each while it's fresh in my mind. I started with Hojoki and Tsurezuregusa . So, this is just my announcement, you can read a bit more about my  Heian Obsession here  and I will post all of the book reports to this page .

Day 104 CS Day 27 - Bee Spa

"Create something in collaboration with another CreativeSprinter Today" One of the Spa's clients For the 27th project, I consulted with my friend and fellow artist AS in New England. She works in a greenhouse and when asked via email what insect first came to mind, she wrote: "I think of BEES because I have been working in beeswax and I love what bees do and produce. Also, my coworker and I made a "Bee Spa" for all the fuzzy bumble bees that pass out on the ground (I think the colder temps make them sluggish?)...and we also have a "Bee Necropolis" where we lovingly put all the bees that have died." I was intrigued by both ideas - the spa and the necropolis, but decided I might have a better chance at depicting the spa. I asked AS what the Bee Spa looked like: "...[it] is a selection of lovely cut flowers with pollen offerings plus potted plants in a protected area where the bumbles will not be disturbed a...