Skip to main content

Pomegranate Bonsai

Happy little bonsai

It was over a year ago that I sowed the seeds for this dwarf pomegranate (Punica granatum). I now forget the variety, but I know it is not Sochi or Nana. Strangely I can find no trace of it online even though that is where the seeds were purchased.  The tree is about 8 inches tall (~20 cm).  Earlier this year, I transplanted this seedling to its bonsai tray and put it in a semi-shaded spot outside.  It bloomed profusely and produced this single fruit:


Then I brought it to the office, and despite the sunny window it dropped the remainder of its buds and has produced nothing since (wickedly, I like to think it reflects my general feelings about the place). The pomegranate finally fell off the little tree last week, and curious to see what this tiny fruit, smaller than a grape, looked like inside, I cut it open:


All we had was a steak knife!

I'm not sure if the seeds turn red or not in the dwarf varieties, but it appears the fruit was not ripe. Like the flowers, the tree presumably stopped the fruit's development and reserved its energy for adapting to the new environment. Still, it was delightful to find that the fruit is a perfect miniature of the regular-sized pomegranate. I did not sample the seeds.


The pomegranate's current home next to my cube at work. I don't blame it for looking less happy. Perhaps I will return it to its semi-shaded spot in the garden next spring.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maceo

Last night I lost my beloved Maceo.  I've had him since he was six weeks old and he just turned 17 on April 1st.  I miss him dearly already. Rest well sweet boy.

The Heian Book Report

I've started re-reading my Heian-era Japanese Literature books (all English translations) and thought I'd write a few thoughts about each while it's fresh in my mind. I started with Hojoki and Tsurezuregusa . So, this is just my announcement, you can read a bit more about my  Heian Obsession here  and I will post all of the book reports to this page .

Day 104 CS Day 27 - Bee Spa

"Create something in collaboration with another CreativeSprinter Today" One of the Spa's clients For the 27th project, I consulted with my friend and fellow artist AS in New England. She works in a greenhouse and when asked via email what insect first came to mind, she wrote: "I think of BEES because I have been working in beeswax and I love what bees do and produce. Also, my coworker and I made a "Bee Spa" for all the fuzzy bumble bees that pass out on the ground (I think the colder temps make them sluggish?)...and we also have a "Bee Necropolis" where we lovingly put all the bees that have died." I was intrigued by both ideas - the spa and the necropolis, but decided I might have a better chance at depicting the spa. I asked AS what the Bee Spa looked like: "...[it] is a selection of lovely cut flowers with pollen offerings plus potted plants in a protected area where the bumbles will not be disturbed a...