Skip to main content

Days 59 - 61: Brush and Splatter


This counts for three days...because I need to catch up! 
(And I'm combining posts, also because I need to catch up).

Day 59:


A blue pleasing fungus beetle (yes, that is its common name), outlined with a brush pen onto ACEO-sized watercolor paper.

Day 60:


A metallic wood boring beetle, also outlined with a brush pen on the same paper.

Day 61:
Color and Splatter!


As seen above, I've painted the beetles with water color, and I'm masking them for the splattering process (this is so I can splatter the background without getting any onto the beetles in theory). For a mask, I've traced the outlines of the beetles onto clear acetate film and cut them out. I actually do have some Frisket film which is made especially for this sort of thing, but it is more time consuming to cut out and this method works pretty well.


Using water color paint and a paint brush, I splattered the paper by "flicking" the bristles. Once it dried, the masks were removed and I stamped them with my signature seal.


You can view the ACEOs in my shop here:



[February 28, 2020 to March 1, 2020]
[Happy Leap Year!]



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maceo

Last night I lost my beloved Maceo.  I've had him since he was six weeks old and he just turned 17 on April 1st.  I miss him dearly already. Rest well sweet boy.

The Heian Book Report

I've started re-reading my Heian-era Japanese Literature books (all English translations) and thought I'd write a few thoughts about each while it's fresh in my mind. I started with Hojoki and Tsurezuregusa . So, this is just my announcement, you can read a bit more about my  Heian Obsession here  and I will post all of the book reports to this page .

Day 104 CS Day 27 - Bee Spa

"Create something in collaboration with another CreativeSprinter Today" One of the Spa's clients For the 27th project, I consulted with my friend and fellow artist AS in New England. She works in a greenhouse and when asked via email what insect first came to mind, she wrote: "I think of BEES because I have been working in beeswax and I love what bees do and produce. Also, my coworker and I made a "Bee Spa" for all the fuzzy bumble bees that pass out on the ground (I think the colder temps make them sluggish?)...and we also have a "Bee Necropolis" where we lovingly put all the bees that have died." I was intrigued by both ideas - the spa and the necropolis, but decided I might have a better chance at depicting the spa. I asked AS what the Bee Spa looked like: "...[it] is a selection of lovely cut flowers with pollen offerings plus potted plants in a protected area where the bumbles will not be disturbed a...